Monday, December 1, 2014

Dead Chickens.. Choose Wisely

When people ask me what I want to do with my life I don't like it when
I don't have an answer.
Most of the time my goal making includes sitting and waiting until
things work themselves out.  I always want the right goal/ answer for
life to just come to me!
The other night I prayed for goal making help. Goals of understanding,
direction and divine guidance. This prayer was answered the next
morning at 5:30 am by the sound of screaming chickens... We ran out in
our pajamas armed with a flashlight yet we were too late. Three
raccoons had gotten into the coop. These animals came as an example
that life moves on.. Murdered chickens and all. Those chickens sat
around in their coop being taken care of. The raccoons on the other
hand took their goal of eating seriously and they found a way into the
seemingly impenetrable coop. They found success. Not only did they
reach their goal of finding food but they ate every night until a road
block came their way 
(two sisters armed with vocal chords and a flashlight.) 
I'm sure those raccoons are not going to go lay down and die.
I'm Sure they relished in the success they did have and have now moved
on to finding another way to reach their next goal.
Raccoons need to eat to survive. We need to work at our goals to
survive and thrive as well. Goal setting is something we all can think
about, work on and stop procrastinating.  In this instance I would
much rather be the raccoon than the chicken. 
Seven hens, three nights, only one survived...Those are not good odds.
Let's make some goals!

 This last October General Conference Elder Quentin L. Cook talked 
about the importance of making sure our goals and actions complement the other.

"I believe it is of particular importance in our day, when Satan is
raging in the hearts of men in so many new and subtle ways, that our
choices and decisions be made carefully, consistent with the goals and
objectives by which we profess to live. We need unequivocal commitment
to the commandments and strict adherence to sacred covenants. When we
allow rationalizations to prevent us from temple endowments, worthy
missions, and temple marriage, they are particularly harmful. It is
heartbreaking when we profess belief in these goals yet neglect the
everyday conduct required to achieve them."
Choose Wisely Elder Quentin L. Cook
Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles



 

No comments:

Post a Comment