Friday, November 7, 2014

For those Unbarable Life Moments

This last weekend a woman had an assisted suicide in Oregon.
That is where doctors help with someone's wish to take their own life.
I don't know the details because as a missionary we try not to focus
on the news but the people around us.
When I heard this my heart reached out to this woman.
I am not here to judge, her trials must have been hard and I know her
decision has people across the world thinking about their lives and
the value of them.
God gave us our bodies and our life here on earth.
They are His and we are here to take care of them the best we can.

We all go through hard things. I am reading in the Book of Mormon
where there is a very stubborn, set minded people.
They are going through some extremely rough and hard battles.
Reading their experiences has really helped me understand the
importance of trusting God. Although this passage is a little harsh it
also helped me understand the importance of having Godly sorrow for
our trials rather then a self harming lamenting sorrow.

"And it came to pass that the Nephites began to repent of their
iniquity, and began to cry even as had been prophesied by Samuel the
prophet; for behold no man could keep that which was his own, for the
thieves, and the robbers, and the murderers, and the magic art, and
the witchcraft which was in the land.

Thus there began to be a mourning and a lamentation in all the land
because of these things, and more especially among the people of
Nephi.

And it came to pass that when I, Mormon, saw their lamentation and
their mourning and their sorrow before the Lord, my heart did begin to
rejoice within me, knowing the mercies and the long-suffering of the
Lord, therefore supposing that he would be merciful unto them that
they would again become a righteous people.

But behold this my joy was vain, for their sorrowing was not unto
repentance, because of the goodness of God; but it was rather the
sorrowing of the damned, because the Lord would not always suffer them
to take happiness in sin.

And they did not come unto Jesus with broken hearts and contrite
spirits, but they did curse God, and wish to die. Nevertheless they
would struggle with the sword for their lives."

Mormon 2:10-14

What I am inviting myself and the rest of you to do is take care of
the body and life God has given you.
We are His children and I know He is in control even when things may
seem unbearable.
Please have hope in Him.

Let us not curse God even in our hard trials. Let us take care of the
gifts He has given us and let us turn to our Savor who is quick to
forgive and to save. This is my testimony that it is only through Him
we may live! In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Thank you for sharing your testimony. Trials can humble us to rely on the Lord and become strong through our experience, or they can bring us down to self pitty where we become blind to everything but our own suffering. It is a choice we make and the outcome of the experince depends on which path we choose. I hope that I can be the kind of person that learns and is strengthened by the trials I face. Thank you again for your sweet testimony.

    ReplyDelete